Résumé Requirements For Network Symplicity
Before you can begin to use Network Symplicity or apply for positions, you will need to register for an account. Your registration will be approved by a staff member, and once approved, you will be able to upload your résumé. If you don't have a résumé, or if you need some advice on updating your current résumé, please view the Resources tab in Network Symplicity for resources such as Résumé Advice for Liberal Arts Majors, the Liberal Arts Résumé Lookbook, and the Penn State Career Guide.
Although there are some variations on what constitutes an acceptable résumé—depending upon whom you ask—we do require that certain elements be included in any résumé posted in Network Symplicty:
- An objective statement, indicating what type of position you are seeking (e.g. internship or research) and in what timeframe (semester or month, year)
- Your name, address, phone number, and e-mail address
- Your major and degree type (e.g. Bachelor of Science in Psychology or Bachelor of Arts in English)
- Your anticipated graduation date (month, year)
- Cumulative GPA (major in GPA is optional); if you do not yet have a Penn State GPA, include your high school GPA or your GPA from a previous institution
Other helpful résumé tips:
- The official name of the University is The Pennsylvania State University and the College is College of the Liberal Arts.
- The University is located in University Park, PA not State College, PA.
- In most cases, undergraduate resumes should fit on one page. Do your best to assess your resume based on your objective and include the experiences most relevant to the position or field you are seeking.
- We also strongly recommend that you do not include your references on your résumé; it is standard for an employer to request references from a candidate following an interview, not at the point of submitting a résumé.
Explore résumé examples to see what works best for you and your experience. Penn State Career Guides are available at the Career Enrichment Network.